This roasted aubergine and tomato bake is naturally quite sweet so I would be surprised to find a child (or adult) that did not enjoy this dish. The quantities below are to be enjoyed as a side for 2 people or as a stand alone dish for 1 adult and 1 baby/toddler. You can double the quantities to make this into a family dinner, which I often do. Be warned, you might want to move the high chair FAR AWAY from any white walls before serving this dish to your little one!
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 tsp oil
- 150ml of passata
- ½ red onion
- 6-7 cherry tomatoes
- A few leaves of fresh basil
- A small handful of grated mozzarella (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200oC
- Slice the aubergine into discs shapes approx. 1cm thick and arrange in a single layer on a baking tray.
- Brush oil over the aubergine and roast for 25 min.
- Meanwhile finely chop the onion and garlic and fry in a small amount of oil for 5 min and then add the passata.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to reduce to half it’s volume whilst the aubergine bakes.
- When the aubergine is ready take it out of the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before constructing the bake. Leave the oven on because the dish will be going back into the oven to finish.
- To construct: start by covering the base of a small ovenproof dish (i use my 1.5l pyrex dish which is approx. 21x17cm) with around a third of the sauce, arrange half the aubergine into a single layer on top of the sauce, then cover the aubergine with another third of the sauce and most of the cheese (if using), create another layer with the remaining aubergine then top with the last of the sauce.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes into thin slices and arrange on top of the bake to create a pretty pattern, sprinkle the last of the cheese and freshly chopped basil.
- Cover the dish with foil and pop back into the oven for 10-15 min to melt the cheese and soften the tomatoes.